Thursday, January 28, 2010

My memorable inter-view

My memorable inter-view
The very day I got an interview call for the position of a Professor, I had to compromise with my present as interview day appearing started in my dreams. I started preparing very hard for that interview. I started brushing up my major subject every morning after my teeth. My senior colleague professor friend once told me that interview panel’s questions would not be as difficult as of students’. Finally my (dooms) day came. Sometimes u get hunch that something is going to het get wrong but everything turns out to be fine. I booked my tickets. I wanted to insure my original certificates and mark sheets with travel insurance but couldn’t. I reached the interview venue half an hour early, set in the waiting room and found that there were only seven candidates against three vacancies. Though I had been teaching Marketing for years, for the first time in my life, I practically experienced oligopoly market situation. My waiting at airport lounge seemed short by the time my turn came. I was eager to ask the reasons behind sad faces of every candidate coming out of interview room. The file in the candidates’ hands looked like hard bound Action Taken Report on “Why people fail in interviews”. I was nervous about how would I look like when I would come out as I had two such files in my lap.
Three musketeers in the interview room nodded simultaneously and in accurate harmony in reply of my permission to go in. I introduced myself and emphasized that I had my major in Marketing. They shot the first question which belonged to alien community for Marketing world. One interviewer scratched his head, which I guessed was to indicate that he had gray hair- the symbol of experience in the field. I wish I had a balding head to challenge that scratch but I was too young to worry too much. I answered first question. To which two of them looked at each other in such a manner that I checked whether I said any bad word in public. Third expert asked me about job enrichment. Before I dare to reply, he warned not to bluff if I didn’t know the answer. I reminded him I am from Marketing and not Human Resources. I felt more bluffing in questions rather in answers there. The other expert asked me such a long question that I forgot the question itself. My answer appeared tiny before the length of his question. One panelist was constantly looking at my shoes to remind me that he was monitoring my body language.
Anyway, I learnt one thing – when you want to challenge someone’s knowledge, start your question with ‘I will ask you a simple question…’ I realized I has wasted enough time on preparation on issues such as salary, notice period, staff quarters etc. Second panelist asked me to explain Brand Equity in only one word. My one-word answer was ‘Sorry’. Next question was – what is the ideal time to start market survey? I wanted to reply – Right now, if you excuse me and let me get out of this interview.
Finally, I managed to escape. My hunch of having not-so-good interview proved wrong as it was the worst interview. Coming back to home, I learnt the greatest lesson of my academic life – Ask others what you only can answer and no one else. This is called expertise. I decided to forget about the product failure and look for new market opportunities!

No comments: